Faculty and Staff
Erdal Ozkan, Director
Erdal Ozkan is a professor of Petroleum Engineering and the co-director of the Marathon Center of Excellence for Reservoir Studies (MCERS) at the Colorado School of Mines. He has BS and MS degrees from Istanbul Technical University and a Ph.D. degree from the University of Tulsa, all in Petroleum Engineering. He has twenty-five years of teaching and research experience. His main research interests are horizontal and multilateral well technology, pressure-transient analysis, modeling fluid flow in porous media, and unconventional reservoirs. Dr. Ozkan is a Distinguished Member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) and the recipient of the SPE Lester C. Uren (2013) and Formation Evaluation (2007) Awards. He also served as an SPE Distinguished Lecturer on shale-gas reservoirs in 2011 – 2012. Dr. Ozkan is also a member of the ASME and SIAM.
Erdal Ozkan, PhD
F.H. “Mick” Merelli/Cimarex Energy Distinguished Department Head Chair
Room 203 Marquez Hall
Colorado School of Mines
Golden, Colorado 80401 USA
Office: (303) 273-3188
Fax: (303) 273-3189
Petroleum Engineering Department
Marathon Center of Excellence for Reservoir Studies
Xiaolong Yin, Associate Professor
Xiaolong Yin is an associate professor in the Petroleum Engineering Department. He has a PhD in Chemical Engineering from Cornell University, A MS degree in Mechanical Engineering from Lehigh University and a BS in Theoretical & Applied Mechanics from Beijing University. His research interests are numerical simulation of single- and multi-phase flows in fractured rocks, micro-channel networks, and fibrous media. Dynamics of liquid-solid and gas-solid suspensions that feature particle size distributions. Novel numerical method for gas-solid suspension flows and transient analysis of porous media flows.
Hossein Kazemi, Professor
Hossein Kazemi is a professor in the Petroleum Engineering Department, and co-director of the Marathon Center of Excellence for Reservoir Studies(MCERS). He has a BS and PHD from the University of Texas/Austin. Dr. Kazemi has a long career in industry with Marathon Oil. His research interests are petroleum reservoir simulation, improved and enhanced oil recovery, transient testing in wells, and geomechanics simulation.
Luis Zerpa, Professor
Luis E. Zerpa joined the Mines Petroleum Engineering Department in April 2013. Before joining Mines, he was an assistant professor at the University of Zulia, Venezuela. Dr. Zerpa has consulting experience leading the reservoir simulation studies of an industrial offshore chemical EOR pilot project developed by the Venezuelan National Oil Company (PDVSA). He holds a B.S. (2001) and M.S. (2004) in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Zulia, and a Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering from Colorado School of Mines (2013). His research interests are in the areas of reservoir engineering, fluid flow in porous media, enhanced oil recovery, flow assurance and multiphase flow modeling, and natural gas hydrates as potential energy source.
Tugce is a PhD student at Petroleum Engineering Department. She received her BS and MS degree both in Petroleum Engineering from Istanbul Technical University and Colorado School of Mines, respectively. She worked at Transatlantic Petroleum company for 2 years in Turkey and Dallas, TX as a Reservoir Engineer.
Meruyert is PHD student in the Petroleum Engineering at Colorado School of Mines conducting studies on phase behavior of multiphase fluid systems. She received her BS and MS degree in petroleum engineering from Kazakh-British Technical University. She has 3 years of educational experience as a lecturer.
Dina received her MS at Colorado School of Mines with Dr. Azra Tutuncu. Currently working on PhD in UREP.
Gizem is a PHD student in Petroleum Engineering at Colorado School of Mines. She received her MS degree in Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering and her BS degree in Geophysical Engineering from Istanbul Technical University.
- Yakup Berk Coskuner, (Ph.D. 2022) Effects of Molecular Level Forces on the Diffusion and Adsorption Behavior of Confined Hydrocarbons: A Molecular Dynamics Approach
- Vladimir Martinez, (Ph.D. 2022) Interference Analysis in Reservoirs with Bottom-Water Drive During Waterflooding Processes Through Subsurface Connectivity
- Zhiming Zhu (Ph.D. 2021) Selective Hindrance During Oil Flow Through Nanoporous Shale Rocks
- Mohammed Al Ali (MS 2021) A Treatise on the Use of Pseudopressure Approach for the transient Analysis of Multi-Phase Production from Unconventional Reservoirs
- Medet Madalimov (MS 2021) Effect of Temperature on Oil/ Water Relative Permeabilities in Microfluidic Micromodel
- Mohammed Althani (Ph.D. 2021) Development Strategies for Non-Source Tight-Oil Formations in the Middle East
- Zhijun “Julian” Liu (Ph.D. 2020) Investigation of Hindered Transport of Large Hydrocarbon Molecules in Nanoporous Materials
- Mohamed Ibrahim Hafez Mohamed (Ph.D. 2020) Modeling of Transient Flow of Diagnostic Fracture Injection Tests in Porous Media
- Keerthana Krishnan (M.Sc. 2019) Using Oscillations to Detect Capillary Condensation in MCM-41
- Recep Bakar (M.Sc. 2018) Modeling and Analysis of Diagnostic Fracture Injection Tests (DFITs)
- Mohammad F. Alghnemi (M.Sc. 2018) Chemical EOR Economics of Sabriyah Lower Burgan Reservoir: A Reservoir Sector Model Study
- Kagan Kutun (M.Sc. 2018) Hydraulic Fracture Modeling of an Enhanced Geothermal System
- Yakup Berk Coskuner (M.Sc. 2018) A Grand Canonical Monte Carlo Simulation Model for Phase Behavior of Confined Hydrocarbons
- Mohamed Al Zaabi (M.Sc. 2017) Evaluation of the Production Potential of Shilaif Shale Oil Formation Using Analytical and Modeling Methods
- Younki Cho (Ph.D. 2017) Experimental Measurement and Numerical Modeling of Multiphase Flow in Middle Bakken
- Jamila Huseynova (M.Sc. 2017) Potential of Thermal Methods to Enhance Recovery in Unconventional Oil Reservoirs
- Wisam Assiri (Ph.D 2017) Interpretation of Pseudotransient Linear Flow In Production Data Analysis of Tight, Naturally Fractured Reservoirs
- Elham Parsa (Ph.D. 2017) Experimental Study on the Effect of Confinement on Propane Phase Behavior
- Tugce Calisgan (M.Sc. 2017) Verification of Confinement Impact on Flow Using a Black Oil Simulator
Ralf Holy (Ph.D. 2016) Numerical Investigation of ID Anomalous Diffusion in Fractured Nanoporous Reservoirs
Ali Albinali (Ph.D. 2016) Analytical Solution for Anomalous Diffusion in Fractured Nanoporous Reservoirs
- Ziming Zhu (M.Sc. 2015) Theoretical Investigation of the effect of Membrane Properties of Nanoporous Reservoirs on the Phase Behavior of Confined Light Oil
Caglar Yesiltepe (M.Sc. 2015) Accessed Drainage Volume and Recovery Factors of Fractured Horizontal Wells under Transient Flow
Judson Greenwood (M.Sc. 2015) An Analytical Investigation of Boundaries in Naturally Fractured Unconventional Reservoirs
- Andreas M. Lumban Gaol (M.Sc. 2015) Interference Test Analysis with Two Fractured Horizontal Wells
- Ozlem Ozcan (M.Sc. 2014) Fractional Diffusion in Naturally Fractured Unconventional Reservoirs
- Filiz Geren (M.Sc. 2014) Modeling Flow in Nanoporous, Membrane Reservoirs and Interpretation of Coupled Fluxes
- Caglar Komurcu (M.Sc. 2014) Effect of Viscosity-Compressibility Product Variation on the Analysis of Fractured Well Performances in Tight Unconventional Reservoirs
- Juan Carlos Carratu (M.Sc. 2013) Sensitivity of Fractured Horizontal Well Productivity to Reservoir Properties in Shale-Gas Plays
- Tuba Firincioglu (Ph.D. 2013) Bubble Point Suppression in Unconventional Liquids Rich Reservoirs and Its Impact on Oil Production
- Osman Apaydin (Ph.D. 2012) New Coupling Considerations between Matrix and Multiscale Natural Fractures in Unconventional Resource Reservoirs
- Mahmood Ahmadi (Ph.D. 2012) Laplace Transform Deconvolution And Its Application to Perturbation Solution Of Non-Linear Diffusivity Equation
- Margaret L. Brown (M.Sc. 2011) Analytical Trilinear Pressure Transient Model for Multiply Fractured Horizontal Wells in Tight Shale Reservoirs
- Flavio Medeiros Junior (Ph.D. 2011) Semi-Analytical Pressure Transient Model for Complex Well – Reservoir Systems